Area Coordinators Waste Management
Main topics regarding waste management claiming sustainable prospectives are:
- Material cycles
- Pollutant transport
- Landfill construction
- Waste management concepts
- Concepts for disposal of non-recyclable materials
- Logistics and recycling technology: development of secondary recycling chains/ processes
- Concepts for local sewerage
Area Coordinator Prof Ligy Philip (Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras, Chennai, India)
- Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. (March 2009 onwards)
- Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, and Madras. (Jan 2004- March 2009)
- Assistant Professor in Department of Civil engineering, IIT Madras (Jan 2001-Jan 2004)
- Assistant Professor in Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur ( May 1998 to Dec. 2000).
- Senior Project Engineer at IIT Kanpur in the UNICEF sponsored project on Defluoridation of Water in Rural Areas Using Activated Alumina Technology (Aug 1997-May 1998).
Research Areas (please click here for more information)
- Bioremediation of contaminated soils, air and water with heavy metals, pesticides and other hazardous organic compounds
- Water treatment and Rural Water Supply
- Air pollution monitoring, modeling and control
- Domestic and Industrial wastewater treatment with emphasis on wastewater reuse and recycling
Publications (selection only, complete list here)
- R. Ravi, Ligy Philip and T. Swaminathan (2013). Growth kinetics of an indigenous mixed microbial consortium during methylene chloride degradation in a batch reactor. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, pp. 1-5 (Article in press), 2013
- aviraj Datta and Ligy Philip (2013). Inhibitory Effects of Toluene on Methyl Iso-Butyl Ketone Biodegradation. Journal of Chemical and Environmental Engineering Vol.4, No.1, 2013
- Ligy Philip, K. S. Reddy, Bhuvanesh Kumar, S. Murty Bhallamudi, A. Kannan (2013). Solar and wind aided cross flow evaporator for RO reject Management. Desalination, 317, pp 1-10. 2013.
- V.S. Priya and Ligy Philip (2012). Biodegradation of Dichloromethane along with other VOCs from Pharmaceutical Wastewater. Appl. Biochem. and Biotech., 169(4), pp1197-1218. 2013.
- Naresh Kumar Sharma, Ligy Philip, Murty Bhallamudi (2012). Aerobic degradation of Phenolics and Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Presence of Cyanide.Bioresources Technology, 121, pp 263-273
- J. Senthil Nathan and Ligy Philip (2012). Elimination of Pesticides and their Formulation Products from Drinking Water using Thin Film Continuous Photoreactor under Solar Radiation” . Solar Energy Journal. 86(9), pp 2735-2745
- Aviraj Datta and Ligy Philip. Biodegradation of Volatile Organic Compounds from Paint Industries. Appl. Biochem. and Biotech.167(3), pp 564-580
- Balasubramanian, P., Ligy Philip, Murty Bhallamudi (2012). Biotrickling Filtration of VOC Emissions from Pharmaceutical Industries. Chemical Engineering Journal.209, pp-102-112.
- Balasubramanian, P., Ligy Philip, Murty Bhallamudi (2012). Biotrickling Filtration of Complex Pharmaceutical VOC Emissions along with Chloroform. Bioresources Technology.144, pp149-159.
- J. Senthil Nathan and Ligy Philip (2012). Photo degradation of Methyl Parathion and Dichlorvos from Drinking Water using (1-1) N-doped TiO2under Solar Radiation, Journal of Chemical Engineering. 172, 2-3, 678-688
Area Coordinator Prof. Dr. Martin Kranert (Department of Waste Management and Emissions, ISWA, University of Stuttgart, Germany)
Since 2009: Dean of the interdiciplinary study programme environmental engineering at the University of Stuttgart
since 2002: Full Professor and Chairholder of the chair of solid waste management and emissions, Institute of Sanitary Engineering, Water Quality and Solid Waste Management, University of Stuttgart
2002: General director of the Institute for Technical optimization and Disposal Engineering, Agency for Technology Transfer and Innovation Ltd. Hannover, general director
1993: University of Applied Sciences, Braunschweig/Wolfenbuettel, Institute for Waste management and environmental monitoring, Prof. for Waste Management
1984: Project Manager, Consultant and General Manager, Ingenieursozietaet, Abfall, Stuttgart (Waste Management, planning, design of plants,building of plants and landfills)
- Control of biogas plants by using a new online measurement method (NIRS) in cooperation with University of Hohenheim, Ministry for Agriculture Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Study. Hazardous Waste Management in Turkey
- Development of new technologies for production and application of plastics from renewable resources
- City with Energy Efficiency – SEE Stuttgart
- IGNIS – Income generation und climate protection by valorising municipal solid wastes in a sus tainable way in emerging megacities
- Pilot project of reducing the after-care period for a municipal solid waste landfill – accelerated degradation of the organic waste by extensive interval aeration on BA IV, Landfill Dorfweiher, Germany
- Development a new method to evaluate the emission rates of greenhouse gases from area sources measured by TDLAS-System
- SEBE SEBE – Sustainable and Innovative European Biogas Environment
- Green Cook – The aim of Green cook is to prevent food wastage and develop a model for durable food management in the NWE-area
Publications (selection only)
- Kranert, Clauss, Berechet, “Grey Energy” in consumer products – an underestimated factor. Turkish-German waste days, 25.-27. Nov. 2010, Izmir (Turkey) published in: TAKAG 2010, Proceedings, Oldenbourg Verlag, Minden (in print), 11 pages 2010.
- Rymkiewiecz, Ecalante, Kranert, Megacities of tomorrow – a challenge for the waste management (in german only), Journal Müll und Abfall 08/10, page 371 – 378, (2010)
- Kranert, Cord-Landwehr, Einführung in die Abfallwirtschaft (Handbook of Solid Waste Management) Editor (20 Authors), Vieweg + Teubner-Verlag, Springer Fachmedien, Wiesbaden, 4. Auflage (4th edition), 665 pages (2010)
- Kranert, Clauss, Solid Waste Management – from “end of pipe” to sustainable solutions! 3rd Indo-German Conference on Research for Sustainability: Water and Waste Management. Organized by BMBF and Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, JJT Delhi, New Delhi, 3.-4. Febr. 2010. Published in the proceedings, Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Berlin (2010)
- Kranert, Escalante, Rymkiewicz, Megacities of Tomorrow – a Challenge for Solid Waste Management. 3rd Indo-German Conference on Research for Sustainability: Water and Waste Management. Organized by BMBF and Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, JJT Delhi, New Delhi, 3.-4. Febr. 2010. Published in the proceedings, Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Berlin (2010)
- Laux, Reiser, Kranert, Pilot Scheme to Reduce the Aftercare Period on the Dorfweiher Landfill by in Situ Stabilization. Proceedings, page 178: ORBIT 2010, Organic Recources in the Carbon Economy, 7th International Conference, 29.06.-03.07.2010, Heraklion Crete, Greece (2010)
- Escalante, Kranert, Assefa, Melaku, Getaneh, Methodological Development for the Characterization of the Waste Management System and the Quantification of Material Flows in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Proceedings, page 125: ORBIT 2010, Organic Recources in the Carbon Economy, 7th International Conference, 29.06.-03.07.2010, Heraklion Crete, Greece (2010)
- Kranert, Clauss, Berechet, Escalante (17. – 19.05.2010): CO2 Balance of systems for separate collection of recyclables. 3rd International Conference on Engineering for Waste and Biomass Valorisation (WASTEENG 10), May 17th – 19th, 2010 Bejing, Editors: Nzihou, Liu; Book of Abstracts, Ecole des Mines d’Albi-Carmaux, Albi 81013, Full text on CD, (2010)