Area Coordinators Energy
Prof. Dr. F. Behrendt (Institut für Energietechnik, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany)
Renewable energy is one main foci regarding climate polluting materials produced by fossil fuels. Additionally, research related to carbon capture and storage (CCS) is part of the research undertaken at the IGCS. The relevance of the cross-cutting areas of particularly environmentalism, environmental technology and resource efficiency. Similar to the other research areas, the field of energy is supposed to be interlinked with some sub-topics of the other four key areas. Examples are water resources in urban areas and land use, as well as to the sub-topic waste management and renewable energy.
Area Coordinator: Prof. Dr. Krishna Vasudevan (Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras)
- 1998 – onwards Department of Electrical Engineering at IIT Madras
- 2006 DAAD fellowship for research
- 1996 and 1998 Senior Engineer with M/s Lucas TVS Ltd., performance improvement of automotive alternators
- 1996 Ph.D. in electrical engineering from IIT Madras
- 1991 – 1992 Senior engineer, Kirloskar Electric Company, Development of UPS systems
- 1991 M.E. degree in electrical engineering from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- 1989 B.Tech. degree in electrical engineering (power) from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras
- Power electronics and drives, with current focus on power converters for renewable energy applications
- Sensorless operation of BLDC motor
- Algorithm for fast extraction of harmonic information for active power filters
- Parallel Operation of DC/DC Converters
- Power Electronics for Wind and Photovoltaic Systems
- Development of a sensor-head for remote sensing of conductive deposits
- P. Damodaran and Krishna Vasudevan,‘Sensorless Brushless DC Motor Drive Based on the Zero-Crossing Detection of Back Electromotive Force (EMF) From the Line Voltage Difference’, IEEE Trans on EC, Vol 25, Iss 3, 2010, pp. 661 – 668.
- R. Chudamani, Krishna Vasudevan and C.S. Ramalingam, “Real Time Estimation of Power System Frequency using Nonlinear Least Squares,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No.3, July 2009, pp. 1021–1028.
- R. Chudamani, Krishna Vasudevan and C.S. Ramalingam, “Nonlinear Least Squares based Harmonic Estimation for a Shunt Active Power Filter,” IET-Power Electronics, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 2009, pp. 134–146.
- R. Chudamani, Krishna Vasudevan and C.S. Ramalingam, “A Novel Power System Frequency Estimation Method,” IET-Electronic Letters, Vol. 44, Iss 17, Aug 14, 2008, pp. 1030 – 1032.
- Lohia, P., Mishra, M.K. Karthikeyan, K. and Vasudevan, K., “A Minimally Switched Control Algorithm for Three-Phase Four-Leg VSI Topology to Compensate Unbalanced and Nonlinear Load”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Volume 23, Issue 4, July 2008, pp. 1935 – 1944.
- P. Damodaran, R. Sandeep and Krishna Vasudevan,‘Simple position sensorless starting method for brushless DC motor’, IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 2, 2008, pp. 49–55.
- P. Damodaran and Krishna Vasudevan, ‘Indirect Back-EMF Zero Crossing Detection for Sensorless BLDC Operation’, Accepted for publication in International Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 28, 2008, pp. 91–98.
- M. Nanda Kumar, Krishna Vasudevan (2006), ‘ A Novel Hysterisis Switching Strategy for Harmonic Compensation’, International Journal of Energy Technology and Policy, Special Issue on FACTS, Vol. 4, Nos. 3/4, 2006, pp. 379–393.
- N. Raghavan, T. Ellinger, U. Grossman, L. Petzoldt, K. Vasudevan, K.S. Swarup (2006), ‘A Novel Low Pass to Bandpass Transformed PI Control Strategy for Series Hybrid Active Power Filter’, Electric Power Systems Research, Volume 76, Issues 9-10, June 2006, pp. 857-864.
- N. Raghavan, T. Ellinger, L. petzoldt, V. Krishna, K.S. Swarup (2006), ‘A New Transformerless Series Hybrid Active Power Filter (TL-SHAPF) Topology’, International Journal of Energy Technology and Policy Vol. 4, No.1/2, pp 126–141.
- M. Nanda Kumar, Krishna Vasudevan (2005), ‘Bi-Directional Real and Reactive Power Control using Constant Frequency Hysterisis Control with Reduced Losses’, Electric Power Systems research, Vol. 76, 2005, pp. 127–135.
- Vinod V. Thomas, Krishna Vasudevan and V. Jagadeesh Kumar (2003) ‘Online Cage Rotor Fault Detection Using Air-gap Torque Spectra, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 18, Issue 2, pp 265-270.
- Krishna Vasudevan and P. Sasidhara Rao (1998) ‘A mixed-domain approach to the modelling and simulation of converter-fed Induction Machine Systems’, International Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 18, No.1, pp.34-40.
- Krishna Vasudevan and P. Sasidhara Rao (1997) ’ A Decoupled Approach to the Simulation of converter controlled Induction Machine Drive Dynamics’, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Information Science, A joint Publication of KIEE, KITE. KISS, KICS, KEES, KIISC AND IEEE Korea. Vol.2, No. 4, pp.79-85.
- Krishna Vasudevan, P. Sasidhara Rao and K. Sankara Rao (1995) Simulation of Power Electronic Circuits using Sparse Matrix Techniques, IEEE Trans. on IE, 4, pp.409-413.
Complete list of publications
Area Coordinator: Prof. Dr. Frank Behrendt (Institut für Energietechnik, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany)
- 2007 Chair of the Innovation Centre Energy being responsible for the coordination of all energy-related research at TU Berlin.
Member of the National Academy of Science and Engineering acatech.
- 2001 Full Professor for Energy Process Engineering and Conversion Technologies for Renewable Energies at the Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin)
- 1999 habilitation at the Stuttgart University
- 1989 PhD from Heidelberg University for his work on modelling of diffusion flames including detailed chemical reaction mechanism.
- Efficient Gas Turbines: Optimization of Gas Turbine technologies. Secure and low-emission combustion
- Thin-Film and Nano Technology for Photovoltaics: Development of innovative coating methods and processes for solar modules
- Networks and Functional Energy Storage Systems: Optimizing grid usage on basis of the existing energy supply structure
- Usage of Low Temperature Heat: Lowering emissions by integrating innovative conversion technologies
- Energy Efficient Buildings and Cities: Reducing energy demand in buildings and cities
- M. Bogdanic, F. Behrendt, F. Mertins: The influence of a two-component model on the computed regeneration behaviour of an uncoated diesel particulate filter, Chemical Engineering Science 63(10), 2601-2613 (2008)
- F. Behrendt, N. Zobel: Transient heat transfer in packed beds: The significance of the history term, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 51, 3816-3824 (2008)
- F. Behrendt, Y. Neubauer, M. Oevermann, N. Zobel, B. Wilmes: Direct Liquefaction of Biomass, Chemical Engineering & Technology 31(5), 667-677 (2008)
- M. Oevermann, S. Gerber, F. Behrendt: Euler-Lagrange/DEM simulation of wood gasification in bub-bling fluidized bed reactor, Particuology 7, 307–316 (2009)
- F. He, N. Zobel, W. Zha, F. Behrendt: Effects of physical properties on one-dimensional downward smoldering of char: Numerical analysis, Biomass and Bioenergy 33(8), 1019-1029 (2009)
- S. Gerber, F. Behrendt, M. Oevermann: Numerische Untersuchung der Holzvergasung in Wirbel-schichten mit einer Diskreten Elemente Methode, Verbrennung und Feuerungen – 24. Deutscher Flammentag, VDI-Berichte 2056, 161-164, VDI-Verlag (2009)
- N. Zobel, A. Anca Couce, F. Behrendt, H.A. Jakobsen: Mehrskalen-Modellierung des Schwelbrands in Schüttungen fester Brennstoffe, Verbrennung und Feuerungen – 24. Deutscher Flammentag, VDI-Berichte 2056, 399-404, VDI-Verlag (2009)
- M. Schaefer, F. Behrendt, T. Hammer: Evaluation of strategies for the subsequent use of CO2, Front. Chem. Eng. China, 172-183, DOI 10.1007/s11705-009-0236-z (2010)
- S. Gerber, F. Behrendt , M. Oevermann: An Eulerian modeling approach of wood gasification in a bubbling fluidized bed reactor using char as bed material, Fuel 89, 2903-2917, DOI 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.03.034 (2010)
- R. Sun, N. Zobel, Y. Neubauer, C. Cardenas Chavez, F. Behrendt: Analysis of gas-phase polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon mixtures by laser-induced fluorescence, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, doi:10.1016/j.optlaseng.2010.06.009 (2010)